Undoubtedly one of the best sketching canvases for artists is Procreate, but it is only available for the iPad and costs $9.99 for one time only. On the other hand, Windows notebooks and tablet PCs can choose from a number of fantastic alternatives to Procreate. You’ve found the right rabbit hole if you’re a creative type in search of top-notch sketching software. Let’s look into some viable Procreate alternatives together!
You can’t go wrong with either Procreate or iPads, they both go hand in hand. A lot of digital artists and sketchers use Procreate, and it’s one of the best programs out there. Sketching is a snap because of the Apple pencil’s accuracy and the display’s silky smoothness. Most digital sketching and painting is done on Windows tablets and laptops, though.
While Windows users will be disappointed to learn that they cannot use Procreate, but there are plenty of other excellent alternatives, some of which are even free! As such, let’s take a look at some of the best alternatives to procreate that can be used on Android. To satisfy your curiosity, please have a look.
Procreate Alternatives for Windows 10/11 (2022)
If you’re a professional artist or just want some amazing sketching software, these are some of the best alternatives to Procreate you can try. Some are free while others require payment.
1) Autodesk SketchBook
There is, of course, a need to include Autodesk Sketchbook in this list. Because it’s the best tool for artists of all stripes, including designers, illustrators, and sketchers. If you’re an artist, you’ll love Autodesk Sketchbook for all the awesome features it has.
It’s compatible with a pen interface, thus Windows Tablets can use it without any problems. Autodesk performs scheduled backups of your files, so you can rest assured that you won’t accidentally lose any of your work.
- Available on multiple operating systems, including Android, iOS, and Windows.
- The full version can be used without cost.
- Accredited workspace and tools for Professional Use.
- Slightly tricky to get a hang of.
- There are now fewer brush types to choose from.
My go-to program for digital sketching is Krita. It was built by a group of developers who are also artists and is available for literally anyone to use. As a result, the software is perfect for doodling and making comics.
To make comics or manga, it is an indispensable tool. In addition, Krita’s brush customisation features provide an excellent outlet for individual expression.
- Artistic software with specialised features.
- 100% free and open-source.
- Reads and writes PSD files from Adobe Photoshop.
- Infrequent sluggishness in performance.
- Takes time to load.
One of the best alternatives to Procreate is ArtRage. It works wonderfully for classical art forms that require subtle colour blending. If you like to sketch the old-fashioned way, ArtRage is the program for you. The ability to mix colours to make new tones, shades, and textures is Artrage’s crowning achievement. It’s a lot like painting on a canvas made of nature.
- It’s a digital revival of old painting methods.
- Simple to use design.
- $79 for a one-time payment.
- Modern and advanced tools are deficit.
Ideas are more like the output of vector drawing software than hand-drawn illustrations. However, it excels at serving as a sketching tool. It displays vector and freehand drawings with ease.
A highly effective program for scanning blueprints and other forms of sketching. Just like in any other drawing program, you can choose from a wide variety of brushes and strokes. You also have many levels of layers for support!
- Endless canvas to work on.
- The free edition features a range of brushes and strokes.
- Ideal for exact measurement drawings.
- It’s going to be a steep learning curve.
5. Corel Painter
And if that’s not enough, how about this one? Corel Painter is a fantastic all-rounder application for digital sketch artists and painters. Its RealBristle paint system and digital art tools are well-known for their ability to faithfully imitate the look and feel of traditional canvas paintings. As a result, it’s one of the best options for creating high-quality digital artwork in a professional setting.
- Assortment of paintbrushes and paper types.
- Permits for the revision/editing of many layers.
- Editing and importing PSD (Photoshop) files are supported.
- Learning curve that unfolds gradually.
- Pricey, with a one-time outlay of $300.
6. Clip Studio Paint
Artists of all skill levels may unleash their inner creative with Clip Studio Paint’s tools for drawing, sketching, and making Clip-Arts. It stands out as a viable option for Procreate as well. In addition, this program’s well-organized interface makes handling digital images a breeze.
As a photographer, you have access to every tool you could possibly need, from the most basic to the most powerful, as well as some truly incredible effects for giving your photos a polished, professional feel.
- Quick and simple management of several images.
- Construct High-Quality Images like a pro from scratch.
- More advanced tools tend to be cumbersome to handle.
7. MediBang Paint
Numerous creative professionals rely on MediBang Paint in their daily work. The ability to save work in progress and return to it with a click is the best part of this program.
Additionally, it is a lightweight, free program that has all the tools you need to make original paintings. It is unquestionably superior to Procreate, with over 800 backgrounds, 50 brushes, and 20 fonts to choose from.
- Each component that is used is kept in a perfect order.
- Very easy to download and employ.
- Ads are shown at the very start.
8. Adobe Photoshop Sketch
Photoshop Sketch software was developed with the express purpose of making it easier to draw articles. It’s a powerful application that can help you make stunning illustrations and other visual works. Adobe Sketch is the program to use if you are an expert.
- There is a lot of thought put into the interface and user experience.
- Currently, you can choose from more than 14 distinct brushes.
- Inadequate photo editing features.
9. Tayasui Sketches
Taysui Sketches can help if you prefer to draw on a tablet or touchscreen device. It allows for mobile drawing with a small yet meaningful set of tools. Unfortunately, the only edition that helps with layers is the expensive one.
- Effective and uncluttered.
- Only the Pro version has layers.
10. Adobe Illustrator
Many of you are probably already aware with Adobe Illustrator because it is the software of choice for many professional graphic designers and digital artists. Adobe has put a lot of work into Illustrator, and with each new release comes a variety of improvements and new tools. It is a trustworthy prime for making all sorts of visuals, including vector graphics, sketches, and paintings.
According to the experts, this is the top Windows alternatives to Procreate. You can use the integrated design templates and presets, colour synchronisation, pixel-perfect designs, a free transform option, as well as Adobe Stock assets.
- Adobe’s massive stock asset library.
- Elegant typesetting.
- Countless pre-sets and templates.
- Especially challenging for first-time users.
From Editor’s Desk
So, with that, I’m going to end this article. We know there are other great options out there, but these options share the greatest similarities with Procreate. Feel free to ask questions or try out suggestions to see which ones work best for you.